top of page

Generative AI will play a prominent role in cyber attacks

Companies must upgrade their cyber security systems as AI threatens to make cyber attacks more sophisticated according to new research by cyber security company Gemserv.

The 55-page Through the Cyber Lens: The Evolving Future of Cyber Security report released in October 2023 surveyed 200 chief information security officers (CISOs) across the UK and Europe.

The report reveals that knowledge and information gaps are emerging as critical challenges, particularly for the CISOs, as the cyber threat landscape is expected to become increasingly volatile, further exacerbated by the geopolitical tensions of 2023.

The survey also attempts to assess the readiness of CISOs to confront other evolving challenges, particularly those stemming from the rise of AI innovation, while also exploring their expectations for the future.

The survey revealed that 38% of respondents anticipate a significant increase in cyber attacks utilizing deep fake AI technologies over the next five years, with an additional 45% expecting a moderate rise. In total, a striking 83% of respondents believe that generative AI will play a more prominent role in cyber attacks. However, a mere 16% of respondents consider their organizations to have an excellent understanding of these advanced AI tools.

Gemserv director of cyber and privacy Mandeep Thandi said, “The AI revolution is transforming the landscape of cyber security and AI is reshaping the contours of cyber defense by augmenting human capabilities, predicting threats, and fortifying organizations against the volatile cyber threat landscape.”

The report says that the ever-evolving cyber threat landscape presents CISOs with the formidable challenge of predicting and preparing for attacks. Information and budgetary resources are essential for adequate preparation.

Amidst these challenges, 82% of the surveyed CISOs believe that new AI regulations will support their organizations' growth and expansion of services. The EU’s AI Act, in particular, distinguishes between high-risk and low-risk AI tools, ensuring that organizations maintain high standards of transparency and security.

The European Union’s AI Act and the UK’s Data Protection and Digital Information Bill are set to reshape the AI regulatory landscape. These regulations aim to clarify, manage risks, and strengthen rules around data quality, transparency, human oversight and accountability.



bottom of page